Tuesday 15 May 2012

Blog 10. Language

You may have already guessed this, but the locals are struggling to understand me with such an accent. As is the problem back home (especially in Stork) and with some of the other volunteers.

Although the primary language in Sierra Leone is English, it is still sometimes difficult to translate. Then there are the different languages that people use depending upon where they were born and their tribe.

The main two I have encountered are Krio and Temne and to further complicate matters, you never really know which one to adopt depending upon whom you are talking to.

Here are a few words to get you started in Krio and Temne:

Hello                                        Kushe-oh                              Seke
How are you?                         Aw di body?                          To pe mu-a?
I’m fine, how are you?          Di bodi fine, aw uself?        Min yenki
What’s your name?               We yu nem?                          Nges uhmu-a?
My name is                            Ah nem                                  Mine yi
I’m from                                 Ah komot                              I wur
Pleased to meet you             Ah gladi foh meet yu           I bone mi taka bap mu
Thank You                             Tenki ya                                Muhmo
Good Bye                                By By                                      Owa-o

The use of language is very diverse over here as well. As I’ve said before, the people in SaLone are really nice, the friendliest I have ever met. But they are more direct in their approach and though extremely polite, they do not use Please and Thank You much, strange compared to how I was brought up.

They also enjoy a conversation just for the simple reason of talking to someone, not for any particular point. In one sense this is incredible and makes them the magnificent people they are, but then you think to yourself do you want something, what was that talk about and they repeat this a lot.

Body language is also something strange to get used to, people will stare at you, but as soon as you smile or say hello their face will light up as if you have made their day.

A lot of handshakes go on, whether you have just met, said something funny or that they like, even just because it has been five minutes since the last handshake!

One thing I do find annoying though is the sort of raspberry blowing kissing noise many young people make. It is only to get you attention (without shouting aporto) but to me it sounds so cheeky, but I will get over it.

Many people cannot understand and use the name Mark, so instead I am either called Bark, Aporto, White boy, my football name is O’Shea and my African name is Abu.



No comments:

Post a Comment